PORTLAND SENIOR PHOTOS AND PORTRAITS
I absolutely LOVE photographing people.
I believe that individual portraits and senior photos should be a beautiful expression of who you are at this stage of your life. Whether you are 17 or 45, you are unique and your photos should be too! Gone are the days of boring, awkward studio shots, ugly backgrounds, stiff posing, and looking exactly the same as everyone else. Say hello to adventurous sessions that represent exactly who you are!
Love hiking? Let’s go to a forest! More of a city-dweller? Let’s explore the urban landscape together and create some edgy shots that feel exactly like you. I live for adventure and for making my portraits feel anything but average. In fact, I shrink away from the concept of what portraits, especially senior pictures, “should” be like, and try to approach each session the same way I’d approach any type of photography.
I want my portraits to feel vibrant, raw, real, bold, honest, moody, earthy, and eccentric.
Above all, I want you to LOVE the experience of working with me. I want you to walk away feeling more beautiful or handsome than you ever have in your life. And I want you to feel as if you just made a new friend in the process.
POSING AND DIRECTION
Do you feel awkward anytime a camera gets pointed at you? If the answer is yes, that’s totally normal. I gotchu. Literally everyone feels that way at first, even me! So don’t worry. I give SO MUCH direction when I’m shooting that you’ll never have to ask “what do I do with my hands?!” or feel nervous. I’ll give you cues and directions that will get you moving and laughing and feeling exactly like yourself!
PLUS, I’ll teach you the best ways to position your body so it looks the most flattering in front of the camera!
Interested in working with me? That’s awesome! Here’s a little insight into how my process works.
1) Email me! From there we can set up a phone call to get to know each other and chat about details! I want to hear all about you, your story, so I can take the best possible photos of you!
2) Choose one of my collections and I’ll send you an electronic contract and invoice reserve the date! Then you’ll be officially booked!
3) I’ll send you resources to help you figure out outfits and a perfect location!
4) On the day of the shoot, we’ll meet up at the first location and start shooting right away so you can warm up in the first 10 minutes or so. Everyone takes a little time to feel comfortable in front of a camera, so don’t worry if you are a little nervous at first! We’ll wander around the location to get a lot of variety in backgrounds and poses, and you’ll be free to change your outfit anytime you want. A lot of places don’t have public restrooms, so you might have to bring a sheet to hide behind, or change in your car. I also ask any friends or relatives who might come along to turn around and not watch you while you are being photographed, just because that helps you feel more comfortable! No one wants an audience!
5) After the shoot, I’ll upload the photos and get rid of anything awkward, out of focus, or a duplicate, and then I will put the rest in a private online gallery and send them to you as proofs right away. They will be straight out of my camera at this stage, but you will able to look through them all and choose your favorites for me to edit and retouch. Each of my collections has a specific number of final images, so depending on which one you get you’ll be able to choose 20, 40, 60 or 80 images for me to edit.
6) Once you finish selecting your favorites and email me, it will take two weeks for me to edit them and get them back to you!
7) I’ll edit and retouch the photos and deliver them in a second online gallery where you can download them directly or order any prints you might want!
SENIOR AND PORTRAIT PRICING
My photoshoots are very personalized, so I usually prefer to chat with you on the phone before we start digging into the details of pricing! But I also understand that price is a HUGE factor in choosing a photographer, so my starting rates are listed below!
My headshots, branding portraits, and dating pictures start at $625
My senior, grad, and family portrait collections start at $750
If you want to do a 20-30 minute, mini portrait session, those start at $300 and I offer them on specific dates during the year! You can sign up to get notified when I release dates and time slots on my mini session email list here.
Contact me to set up a phone call and we can go over all the details together!
SENIOR PHOTO LOCATIONS IN PORTLAND
We all have places in our lives that make us feel relaxed and at peace, or places that hold special memories and meaning. Choose a place for your photos that feels like YOU. I’m always happy to suggest ideas based off what you have in mind!
In Portland: Hoyt Arboretum, Forest Park, Cathedral Park, George Rogers Park, The Pearl District, various bridges in downtown, the Eastbank Esplanade, Old Town, Alberta Arts District, Sellwood Riverfront Park, Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden, Tryon Creek State Park, Lewis and Clark State Park, Laurelhurst Park, The rose garden in Washington Park, Lewis and Clark College Campus, Jenkins Estate, Cooper Mountain
Outside of Portland: Sauvie Island, Timberline on Mt. Hood, White River Recreation Area on Mt. Hood, Timothy Lake, Trillium Lake, Lost Lake, Women’s Forum in the Gorge, Latourell Falls, Government Cove in the Gorge, Viento State Park, Dalton Point in the gorge, Steep Creek Falls, Beacon Rock, St Cloud Day Use Area, Rowena Crest, Cape Horn, Cape Disappointment, Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park, Hug Point, Cape Kiwanda, Smith Rock State Park, Devil’s Lake in Bend, Painted Hills, Detroit Lake, Crater Lake, Mt Rainier, Mt. Saint Helens, Silver Falls State Park, Proxy Falls, Toketee Falls, Terwilliger Hot Springs, Tamanawas Falls
WHAT TO WEAR FOR SENIOR PHOTOS AND PORTRAITS
The most important thing is that you wear your favorite clothes that make you feel the most confident and comfortable! Make sure that everything fits you really well, and if you feel self conscious about a certain part of your body, don’t wear clothes that show it off! I typically prefer photographing people in neutrals and solids because I want the focus on you, not on your clothes! Want more ideas? Check out the link to my in-depth outfit guide below!
WEATHER AND LIGHT
Although locations and backgrounds are important, I’d still say that the number one thing that shapes the way a photo looks is the lighting.
I almost always use natural light (not flash) because it tells the story more accurately and give my photos a beautiful authentic look. However, not all natural light is created equal.
Bright sunlight in the middle of the day can be harsh but edgy. Open shade is flattering and soft, while dappled shade with sunlight can be difficult and contrasty. Soft backlighting in the evening looks romantic and happy with sun flares. Cloudy weather makes for photos with a beautiful even cast and more mood. It’s important to know that all these types of lighting create a different look, and for the most part, that look is up to the weather.
I love to take portraits year-round in any type of weather, BUT I always prefer to do the sessions around sunrise or sunset so we can get the most flattering light of the day!
Need more info?